On behalf of LIFE, welcome to the second half of the year.
On July 1st I conducted a member webinar to encourage people to step back, reflect, and regroup for the second half of the year.
There are 180 days left in the year. What if you could make a 1% investment in the next 6 months of your life and get a 10% return. You really don’t even need a 1% investment (1.8 days) — you need much less. Perhaps about 2-4 hours over the course of a weekend or a couple of evenings. And I think that could lead to a 10% benefit for you from now to the end of the year. 10% more joy, 10% more accomplishment, 10% more contributions to the world you live in, and 10% more meaning in what you do.
The key to this process is to pause and reflect back on the first half of the year. Below I have listed the questions I offered to the webinar participants.
- What have been the highlights of the year so far?
- What do you consider your three most important accomplishments of the past 6 months?
- Have you been heading in the right direction (or not)? Are you closer or further from your desired destination?
(our tendency is to look at what we didn’t do). So look at what you did do – your highlights, progress and accomplishments – and celebrate those.
- What activities or events during the year have given your life a sense of meaning or fulfillment?
- What are the most important contributions you’ve made to others (or the world) outside of your immediate family?
- What three roles in your life (i.e. parent, adult child, spouse, a community member, homeowner/steward, etc.) occupied the greatest amount of your time and energy?
- What activities did you engage in that were “outside your comfort zone”?
- What is something new and valuable that you’ve learned so far this year?
- What are 3 items of unfinished business that are in need of attention (make a will, reconnect with someone…)?
- You need to come up with a useful question that will help you review the past six months.
I also made reference to an exercise that I use at the beginning of each year with my family in which we create a poster of “highlights” for the year before it begins. You can find that exercise HERE.
Gregg Krech Author, Naikan: Gratitude, Grace and the Japanese Art of Self-reflection (2002)| Author, A Natural Approach to Mental Wellness (2004, 2011)| Author, A Finger Pointing to the Moon (2000)| Editor, Thirty Thousand Days: A Journal for Purposeful Living (1993-Present)| Director, ToDo Institute (Vermont) (1992-Pr......